skip to main content
Electric Railway Museum banner 2

The Electric Railway Museum is home to the largest private collection of electric rail traction in the UK. Some of the items are either owned or on long term loan to the Museum whilst others are owned by other organisations or individuals but are permanently on display at the museum.

Not all the items have been restored, some are in the process and others are stored pending restoration in the future.


Electric Locomotives

Full Stocklist : Correct to May 2016

Our Stock List includes exactly what is on site, where it came from and what is happening with it in terms of restoration.

Kearsley Electric Locomotive No. 1

Photo: Mark Walling

Built by Hawthorn Leslie
Works Number 3682 | Build Date 1928

This is one of four locomotives built to a near identical pattern with a steeple cab between two angled bonnets and two four wheeled bogies with a traction motor on each axle. This type of wheel arrangement is known as Bo-Bo. When built the locos took a 550v DC supply from overhead wires through a current collector mounted on the roof. The locos were built for internal use at Kearsley Power Station in Lancashire. Number 1 worked there from new until the closure of the station in 1982. After retirement it moved to the Manchester Museum of Science & Industry for a number of years before ending up in a private collection in Shropshire. It then spent a brief spell in Yeovil before a new private owner brought in to Baginton in 2001.

This item is privately owned and is undergoing long term restoration.

Electric Locomotives images

Spondon Electric Locomotive No. 1

Photo: Mark Walling

Built by English Electric
Works Number E905 | Build Date 1935

This loco weighs in at 20 tons and can be supplied by traction power from either an overhead wire or by the on board batteries that are mounted in banks inside each bonnet. The loco has a 35hp DC motor mounted on each axle which has a very low gearing enabling the loco to pull loads way beyond what its size would suggest but with the trade off that top speed is a mere 9mph! This example was built for the Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire Electric Power Company and was used throughout its working life at Spondon power station in Derbyshire where it was the first of a fleet of three such locos utilised there for hauling loads of coal from the exchange sidings with the main line to feed the power stations boilers. It moved to Baginton in 1999 and has subsequently been restored to a fully operational condition.

This item is privately owned and is on loan to Electric Railway Museum Limited and is fully restored and operational.

Heysham Electric Locomotive No. 1

Photo: Mark Walling

Built by Robert Stevenson & Hawthorn
Works Number 7284 | Build Date 1945

This loco started life as the fourth loco built for Kearsley Power station but after that station closed was rebuilt as a battery locomotive with the batteries fitted inside the cab and the roof mounted current collector removed. It was moved to Heysham Nuclear power station where it was used to move the wagons carrying flasks of spent fuel around the internal rail network at the power station. The loco was renumbered as Heysham No. 1 and continued in this role beyond the privatisation of the CEGB when it became the property of British Energy. The loco was replaced by a diesel locomotive at Heysham in 2009 and became the property of Electric Railway Museum in 2010 when it arrived at Baginton. The loco provides a contrast between Kearsley No.1, more or less in its original condition, and Heysham No.1 the last working standard gauge industrial electric loco in the UK.

This item is owned by Electric Railway Museum Limited and is operational.


Electric Multiple Units

BR Class 405 4-SUB Unit

Photo: Hugh Llewelyn

Built by British Railways Eastleigh
Works Number 4732 | Build Date 1951

This is a four car unit and as such is the largest unit on site at Baginton. The unit was built by British Railways but to a design it inherited from the Southern Railway. The first batch of SUB units emerged in 1941 but subsequent production was delayed until the end of World War 2. They were built to carry the huge number of commuters heading to and from work in London and their homes in the suburbs of South London, Surrey, Kent and Middlesex. The design was for coaches that had the maximum number of seats per square foot and also a door to every seating bay that allowed the train to load or unload in quick time on a tight suburban schedule. Each four car unit had a driving motor coach at each end with the bogies under each cab fitted with two 250hp motors and the current collecting shoes to collect the current from the live rail to power the train. The units were marshalled into eight or ten coach using multiple sets or they could run as a single four coach unit in less busy periods. The top speed of these units was 70mph with the emphasis on acceleration to get them to keep time between the frequent station stops. This is a unique item - the last one of the 4-SUBs to survive.

This unit is owned by 4-SUB Preservation Limited and is stored pending future restoration.

Electric Multiple Units images

BR Class 501 Unit

Photo: Mark Walling

Built by British Railways Eastleigh
Build Date 1957

This two coach unit was built to the British Railways standard suburban design, but these differed in that the vehicle bodies were 55 feet long as opposed to the standard 63 feet. This was necessary due to the tighter curves of the North London Line between Broad Street and Richmond which was one of their primary routes. The units were marshalled as three car sets with a driving motor coach a compartment trailer and a driving trailer, the latter was unusual as it had a brake van which was a feature normally only found on motor vehicles. In addition to the North London Line the units also worked the stopping service from London Euston to Watford Junction and the branch line between Watford and Croxley Green. It was at Croxley Green that a large depot was constructed to service the fleet. The units were originally built to run from the four rail DC system but were converted to run on the third rail system in the 1970s. The preserved unit is in two car formation as no serviceable centre trailer vehicles of the class exist. This is a unique item and the last one of the Class 501s to survive.

This item is privately owned and undergoing long term restoration.

BR Class 309 ‘Clacton’ Units

Photo: Mark Walling

Built by British Railways York
Unit Numbers 624 & 616 | Build Date 1962/3

Only two Class 309s remain in existence and both can be found as part of the Electric Railway Museum collection. This class of units were the first EMUs to be built to run at a design maximum of 100mph and were purpose built to serve the route from London Liverpool Street to Clacton, a duty they carried out until displaced in the early 1990s. Originally four car units, both sets at Baginton were reduced to three car units for their later lives with a driving trailer either side of a motor coach which has four motored axles giving a total of 1128hp; this coach also has the pantograph fitted into a space on the roof one end that extends up to collect the 25000v AC power to drive the units transformer that makes it all work. These units were built as a direct replacement for accordian-img-overlay of carriages hauled by steam locomotives and were considered state of the art upon introduction, giving years of reliable service. The fleet underwent a major facelift in the mid 1980s with new tinted hopper ventilator windows along with fluorescent lighting and seats being fitted making them into a virtually new train on the inside. They were so reliable that a batch was retained for further use in the North-West around the Manchester area after they were displaced from their original work to and from Clacton. They continued to do this until final withdrawal from passenger service in the year 2000.

The units are owned by Electric Railway Museum Limited and are undergoing long term restoration.

BR Class 416/3 2-EPB Unit

Photo: Mike Cox

Built by British Railways Eastleigh
Unit Number 6307 | Build Date 1959

The EPB fleet was built in batches of 2- and 4-car units to work from the third rail network in the southern suburbs. 6307 was built on the under frames of a unit originally built in the 1920s. A new body was constructed on the reclaimed frames, based upon the SUB unit design. The units got their name because they were the first southern multiple units to be fitted with Electro Pneumatic Brakes, a system whereby air was electrically injected into the brake cylinders to give a smoother stop. The system may have been new then for units in the south but it had been fitted to underground accordian-img-overlay since the 1920s. Like the SUBs that preceded them the EPB fleet were built for the high density commuter traffic and worked in formations up to ten coaches long in busy periods on lines throughout South London, Kent, Surrey and Middlesex. The EPBs gave sterling service until finally displaced by the Networker units in 1995. This is a unique itemand the last one of the 416/3 class to survive.

The unit is owned by Electric Railway Museum Limited and has been cosmetically restored.

LMS Class 503 ‘Wirral’ Units

Photo: Hugh Llewelyn

Built by Metro-Cammel/Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company | Build Date 1937

One of a eet of three car units built for the electric services that ran from Liverpool city centre through the Mersey rail tunnel and onto the Wirral lines to New Brighton, Rock Ferry and West Kirby powered by 630v DC third rail. The unit has a driving motor third with each axle powered, an intermediate trailer which was built with both rst and third class accommodation and a driving trailer third. The last vehicle was built by the BRC&W Co at Smethwick whilst the other two cars were products of Met-Cam’s original works at Wednesbury. The units worked faithfully on these services and were deemed by the railway managers to be so eminently suited to the job that when extra stock was required for the Wirral lines in 1956 a second batch of the same design was ordered, despite the fact that the design was by then 19 years old. The builders were the same as the initial batch and there were only minor differences between the two build batches. The design featured air operated sliding doors and electric brakes and were considered very contemporary when introduced. The styling of the vehicles exterior and interior has strong art-deco leanings that are typical of the 1930’s The units continued on their dedicated routes until replaced by newer stock in 1985. The most notable modi cation made to them was the provision of doors on the ends of each vehicle to make them compliant with deep tunnel operating regulations. This is a unique item as it is the last one of the class to survive.

The unit is owned by Electric Train Preservation Limited and is stored pending long term restoration.

BR Class 416/3 ‘Tyneside’ EPB Unit

Photo: Hugh Llewelyn

Built by British Railways Eastleigh
Unit Number 5793 | Build Date 1954

Fifteen units were built to this pattern for the third rail network that existed on Tyneside, in the North East, mainly the route between Newcastle and South Shields where a formation of two two coach sets coupled together was the longest train! The Tyneside EPBs differed from their southern cousins in having a much larger brake van area due to the high volume of sh boxes, parcels and other merchandise carried on the passenger services. When the South Shields route was de-electri ed in 1963 5793 and her 14 sisters were sent to the south and rehabilitated into the Southern Region EPB eet where they worked until 1985. 5793 spent over a decade as a test unit before being sold for preservation. It had the honour of being the rst traction unit sold on by the then newly privatised Railtrack in 1996. This is a unique item — the last of the Tyneside electric passenger units to survive.

The unit is owned by Electric Train Preservation Limited and is stored pending long term restoration.

BR Class 414/3 2-HAP Unit

Photo: Alex Morley

Built by British Railways Eastleigh
Unit Number 4311 | Build Date 1958

This is a two coach multiple unit (meaning you could put numerous sets together and have them all work together under the control of one driver) built to the British Railways standard pattern of the 1950s for suburban stock. Each vehicle is non gangwayed and split into two passenger sections. The driving motor coach has two second class semi saloons plus a guards van and driving cab whilst the driving trailer has a second class semi saloon and first class compartments with two toilets dividing them and also a driving cab. The driving motor coach also features all the electric traction equipment along with two 250hp motors, one on each axle of the leading bogie. This unit was one of a class built for longer distance stopping services, hence the provision of toilets and first class. The class as a whole found use all over the south of England on the third rail network of lines known as the Southern Region of British Rail. Our example spent almost all of its life based at Ramsgate depot working accordian-img-overlay to Victoria and Charing Cross stations in London via Chatham, Canterbury and Ashford. During the 1980s and early 1990s it was moved to Wimbledon depot where it found use on the lines out of Waterloo to Portsmouth, Alton, Basingstoke and Reading before ending its days back in Kent. The unit was withdrawn from traffic in 1995 and put into store pending sale to a preservationist. A private buyer bought the unit in 1999 and moved it to Baginton where it was repainted into the red, white and blue Network Southeast livery it carried during its last years in public service.

The unit is privately owned and is on loan to Electric Railway Museum Limited and has been cosmetically restored.


Individual Vehicles from incomplete Electric Multiple Units

Class 370 EMU Vehicle No. 49006

Photo: Mark Walling

Built by British Railways Derby
Build Date 1979

This is a power car from the Advanced Passenger Train prototype units that were built to herald in a new era of high speed rail travel on the West Coast main line between London and Glasgow. The accordian-img-overlay were designed to run at up to 140mph on existing track and featured a unique titling system that enabled the train to negotiate curved track at high speed. In addition to this the power cars had their motors mounted inside the body and drove the axles by cardan shafts in an effort to reduce track wear. The accordian-img-overlay were marshalled into 14 coach sets, including two of these power cars in the middle of the formation. Each power car had four motors with a total of 2000hp. The three prototype accordian-img-overlay were problematic during their brief service lives and were taken out of use after a short period. One set achieved a UK record speed of 162.2mph in December 1979. The APT project was cancelled in 1986 but the technology established during its development has prevailed on both the Inter City 225 and Pendolino units that have been built since.

The unit is owned by The National Railway Museum and is on loan to Electric Railway Museum Limited and is undergoing restoration.

Incomplete Electric Multiple Units images

Class 307 EMU Vehicle No. 75023

Photo: Alex Morley

Built by British Railways Eastleigh
Build Date 1955

Built for services on the Great Eastern (GE) Main Line. The Class 307, or AM7 as they were known when built, where a 4 coach unit, originally to operate off the 1,500v (DC) overhead power system. With the GE lines being converted to the 6.25 kV/25 kV (AC) overhead system in the late 1950s and early 1960s these units where rebuilt at Eastleigh Works to allow units to operate from this new voltage system. Following refurbishment the fleet saw continued use on both the London Tilbury and Southend Railway (LTS) and Great Eastern routes. By 1990, with other, newer vehicles being cascaded from the other lines, the Units started to be withdrawn. By 1991, all units had been withdrawn from service. This was not the end however as five were overhauled for use on the newly electrified Leeds - Doncaster Line. The final units were withdrawn in early 1993. After being withdrawn, many vehicles where stored with the possibility of them being rebuilt for re-use as parcels units. This did not happen in the end, but many Driver trailer coaches ended up being rebuilt as Propelling Control Vehicles for parcels accordian-img-overlay. 75023 was stored at various MOD bases around the country relating to the parcel conversion program, waiting to be included in the plan but it never was. 75023 was saved for preservation in 2006. This is a unique item and the last one of the class to survive.

This item is owned by Electric Railway Museum Limited and is undergoing restoration.

Class 308 EMU Vehicle No. 75881

Photo: Mike Cox

Built by British Railways York
Build Date 1961

he Class 308s were built to operate commuter services on the main line from London Liverpool Street to Shenfield, Witham, Colchester, Walton- on-the-Naze and Clacton and services from London Fenchurch Street to Tilbury Riverside. The units could operate from overhead wires energised at 25,000v AC and each unit was formed of two driving trailers, an intermediate trailer, and a motor coach. They were based on the British Railways Mark 1 carriage design but had the latest style of angled cab front that had previously been introduced with the Class 504, 304 and 305 units. The maximum speed the units were intended to operate at was 75mph. In 1994/95, the Leeds to Bradford, Skipton and Ilkley lines were electrified but no new stock was ordered. Instead, BR overhauled some 308s for these services as they had been replaced on their original routes by newer stock. By the late 1990s, the 308s were entering their fourth decade in service and were becoming more unreliable and expensive to maintain, and were replaced by new Class 333 units with the last examples surviving in use late in 2001. This is a unique item and the last example of the Class 308s to survive.

This item is privately owned by Electric Railway Museum Limited and is undergoing restoration.

Class 312 EMU Vehicles

Photo: Hugh Llewelyn

Built by British Railways York
Build Date 1976

Two coaches of what was once a four car unit as an example of the British Railways Mark 2 EMU stock that ran on semi fast and suburban services in Essex and The Midlands. The units were built to take power from 25,000v AC overhead wires and offered both first and second class accommodation with a maximum speed of 90mph. This particular unit was originally built for Great Eastern line services from London Liverpool Street, but ended up its days working out of London Fenchurch Street Station on the London Tilbury and Southend line services. The unit was withdrawn from service in 2003, having been replaced by new Class 357/2 “Electrostar” units. After being placed into store for a number of years they entered preservation 2008 and has been subject to some considerable restoration work since it arrived at Baginton. These are a unique item in that they are the last examples of the Class 312s to survive.

The units are owned by AMPS Rail Limited and are currently being stored.

Class 457 EMU Vehicle No. 67300

Photo: Mark Walling

Built by British Railways York
Build Date 1981 | Unit No. 7001

Originally built as part of a Class 210 DEMU unit that was trialled on the Western Region in the early to mid 1980s but never developed beyond two prototypes and subsequently put into store. In the late 1980s British Rail were looking to create a new breed of EMUs, the traction equipment on these would be a radical departure from anything that had been used before in so much as the motors would run on three phase AC current as opposed to DC which had been exclusively used so far. AC motors are smaller and it is possible to have more of them for a small increase in current draw from either the third rail or overhead line equipment which was seen as a step forward in traction equipment for the UK. The trouble was that three phase traction had never run in the UK and a test bed unit would be required to see if its use had an adverse effect on signalling and power supply as the new generation of EMUs would have to run on existing infrastructure. The engineers looked to some of the now redundant class 210 DEMU vehicles to convert into their test unit. The test plan proved that three- phase traction was viable on Britain’s existing infrastructure. It certainly hadn’t performed faultlessly out of the box, but had provided the engineers in charge of the project with challenges to overcome and the data gathered and lessons learned enabled the situation we have now whereby all EMUs built after 1993 have three phase equipment as standard. The testing came to an end and the unit went into store at Eastleigh works late in 1991. This is a unique item - the last example of the Class 457 to survive.

This item is owned by the Suburban Electric Railway Association and is undergoing restoration.

LOR Trailer Car No. 7

Photo: Mike Cox

Built by Brown Marshalls (Frame) | Build Date 1898
Body rebuilt by: LOR | Build Date 1947

The Liverpool Overhead Railway (LOR) which opened in 1893 and ran on an elevated steel structure 16 feet above the dock road following the frontage of Liverpool’s Docklands. When opened the LOR became Britain’s first open air electric suburban railway. The initial accordian-img-overlay were two coach sets but due to demand the formation needed to be strengthened to three coaches within two years and a number of first class trailer coaches were built by Brown Marshall’s in 1898 and followed the same style of construction as the original vehicles with timber frames and matchwood teak body panelling. This vehicle started life as one of these trailers and ran in its original form until 1947 when the vehicle was chosen as one of three vehicles forming the prototype set for a thorough rebuild to be modernised. the work comprised re-using the original under frames, bogies, couplings and brake gear and building a brand new body over a new timber framework. The new body used aluminium sheet metal which was both lighter than steel and more readily available due to the large number of decommissioned aircraft following WWII. The unit had air operated sliding doors and a new interior and the train looked very state of the art for 1947. A further six sets were similarly rebuilt by the LOR but the line closed in December 1956 as the steel structure that carried the line was in need of considerable repair and the local authority at the time decided it would be cheaper to run buses instead of refurbishing the structure. All but two of the vehicles were scrapped after the railway closed in 1955. This is a unique item and the last example of an Liverpool Overhead Railway Trailer Car to survive.

This item is owned by the Suburban Electric Railway Association and is stored pending restoration.

LAB-4 Test Vehicle

Photo: Mark Walling

Built by British Railways Derby | Build Date unknown
Unit Name: Hastings | Conversion Date 1967

LAB-4 is a test vehicle from the Advanced Passenger Train (APT) development program. It was converted from a buffet car that was rendered spare after the 1967 Hither Green accident when the remainder of the vehicles in the six coach Hastings diesel unit it was formed into were damaged beyond repair. The vehicle was recovered from storage and fitted with experimental bogies and suspension for the APT, which required the vehicle to tilt. The Hastings line stock was built to a narrower profile than standard coaches and thus this vehicle could be tilted and not be out of gauge and foul adjacent lines or structures.

Named HASTINGS in recognition of its origins it was used in testing for several years, based at the Railway Technical Centre in Derby.

LAB-4 arrived at the ERM in 2011 and is being restored to test train condition by the APT-E Conservation and Support Group.


Grounded Coach Bodies

C&SLR Trailer Cars

Photo: John Oram

Built by G.F. Milnes & Co. / Brush Engineering
Build Date 1903/1907

Two bodies of carriages built for the City and South London Railway (C&SLR) are present at Baginton. The oldest is a timber body on a steel underframe and dates from 1903 the other is from 1907 and unlike earlier builds, was all steel construction. This makes it the oldest surviving steel frame carriage in the UK. The C&SLR was the first deep-level underground “tube” railway in London, and the first major railway to use electric power for traction. The sets of 3 carriages were pulled by an electric locomotive along the tunnels. The line still exists as is known today as the City Branch of London Underground’s Northern Line. After use on the C&SLR both bodies were sold for re-use as a summer house in a garden in Hertfordshire. Having arrived at Coventry in such a poor state in 2000 it was decided that the best plan for the steel car body is one of conservation, with the metal work being treated to prevent any further decay, and painting so that as much of the original remains. This work is on-going at the time of writing. The timber bodied car has seen no work since arrival and has been stored under heavy tarpaulin. These are unique items and the last example of these types of C&SLR Trailer Cars to survive.

his item is owned by the Suburban Electric Railway Association and is stored pending restoration.


Internal Combustion Locomotives

165DE Locomotive ‘Mazda’

Photo: Hugh Llewelyn

Built by Ruston & Hornsby
Works No. 268881 | Build Date 1903/1907

Two bodies of carriages built for the City and South London Railway (C&SLR) are present at Baginton. The oldest is a timber body on a steel underframe and dates from 1903 the other is from 1907 and unlike earlier builds, was all steel construction. This makes it the oldest surviving steel frame carriage in the UK. The C&SLR was the first deep-level underground "tube" railway in London, and the first major railway to use electric power for traction. The sets of 3 carriages were pulled by an electric locomotive along the tunnels. The line still exists as is known today as the City Branch of London Underground�s Northern Line. After use on the C&SLR both bodies were sold for re-use as a summer house in a garden in Hertfordshire. Having arrived at Coventry in such a poor state in 2000 it was decided that the best plan for the steel car body is one of conservation, with the metal work being treated to prevent any further decay, and painting so that as much of the original remains. This work is on-going at the time of writing. The timber bodied car has seen no work since arrival and has been stored under heavy tarpaulin.These are unique items - the last example of these types of C&SLR Trailer Cars to survive.

his item is owned by the Suburban Electric Railway Association and is stored pending restoration.

Internal Combustion Locomotives images

88DS Diesel Locomotive

Photo: Hugh Llewelyn

Built by Ruston & Hornsby
Works No. 338416 | Build Date 1953

This is a twenty ton variant of this numerous industrial loco type. Originally it would have been painted in the Ruston house colours of brunswick green with cream and lime green lining and red buffer beams with black underframe when delivered new to the National Oil & Coke Cos. works at Erith in Kent. Few details are known about its life in industrial service except that it was sold to British Gypsum for use at their Erith site at some date. During it’s working life the loco was fitted with air operated window wipers and was given the name CRABTREE, this, rather unusually, was carried on the upper bonnet on one side only. The loco was painted powder blue by British Gypsum. It was sold out of industrial use in 1985 to the North Downs Steam Railway and moved to their then site at Chatham Dockyard. From there it moved to storage at Cory Coal Yard at Rochester in November 1986 as the NDSR had been evicted from the Dockyard. When the NDSR acquired their Dartford site in 1987 the loco was re-located there. The NDSR moved again in 1996, this time to Tunbridge Wells. Limitations on space at the new site meant that not all the NDSR locos and stock could be accommodated, so 338416 was put out to loan to Coventry and moved there on April 17th 1996.

The locomotive is owned by The North Downs Steam Railway Limited and on loan to Electric Train Preservation Limited and is currently stored.


Freight Vehicles & Rail Mounted Cranes

4-Wheel Low Fit Wagon

Photo: Hugh Llewelyn

Built by British Railways Shildon
Unit No. 083487 | Build Date 1951

The 4-wheeled low fit wagon is currently used as crane runner.

Freight Vehicles & Rail Mounted Cranes images

LNER Brake Van

Photo: Mark Walling

Built by London North Eastern Railway
Build Date circa 1930

This LNER Brake Van has been restored and has recently received a new grey livery.

Steam Crane

Photo: Mark Walling

Built by Carrick Wardale
Vehicle No. 12 | Build Date 1919

Steam Crane with 5 ton lift capacity

LMS Hand Crane

Photo: Mark Walling

Built by Cowan Sheldon
Vehicle No. 7596 | Build Date 1944

Hand Operated Crane built for the London, Midland & Scottish Railway with a 10 ton lift capacity